Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Steph Says: Nola Holiday

Every once in a while, a mama needs a getaway, even if only for 24 hours. This winter, a tradition was born with Katie and Steph's second annual New Orleans (Nola for you out-of-towners) Holiday.

Because if you do it twice, it's officially a tradition.
A little backstory: Katie and I were fraternity sisters (yes, that's a thing) in college, and our senior year we were President (her) and VP Membership (me). We had some adventures, to say the least. We managed to stay in touch after college because she decided to do a 180 from vocal performance (the girl can SING) and start doing hair, and she was my go-to girl for keeping my mane in check, back when I could actually afford it!! She was a bridesmaid in my wedding, and even though time has gone by, we're still pretty close. Now she's living the dream in New York City, doing hair for movies and TV shows and meeting celebs and going to rooftop bars and running in Central Park... I'm not jealous at all. She's one of those friends you can NOT talk to for 6 months, and when you finally reconnect, you can pick right back up where you left off...the best kind of friend. No judgment, no pressure, just a great friend who loves to have a good time.
Like I said. No judgment. 
We met up at our fancy hotel around 3 p.m. and headed over to Magazine Street for some shopping. We stopped at Trashy Diva where we had a fun little fashion show.
Work it.
Katie sneakily surprised me with a little Christmas gift- this head wrap/band thing that I was drooling over. I walked away for two seconds and she bought it for me! I know right? That's an amazing friend right there. I might have worn it every day since. Even if it is just around my house.

Who Dat, indeed.
Shopping made us hungry and our dinner reservation wasn't until after 9, so we stopped in at Juan's Flying Burrito and got some chips, salsa, guac, and queso...and a margarita, OF COURSE. It did not disappoint! 

Best part? It says "dranks!"
At that point, we headed back to our hotel to get ready for our fancy dinner. Big thanks to my friend and stylist Kat for helping me to put together my outfit! Selfies ensued. How could they not? Funny though, the mirror was kinda behind the bed, so this is the best I could do.
Dress: Gap
P.S. I did NOT wake up like this. 
We hopped in taxi to head back to Magazine for dinner at La Petite Grocery. The chef, Justin Devillier, was a contestant on Top Chef New Orleans and he was just named Best Chef in Nola. The menu did not disappoint. We had Blue Crab Beignets, Roasted Lamb T-bones, Panéed Rabbit, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Baked Macaroni, and Stone Ground Grits.
Oh.
My.
Gawd.
All I'm saying is that running 12 miles the day before made this dinner so much yummier. I know for sure it was not light on the calories... But y'all know I run so I can eat! My only, and I do mean ONLY, complaint is that the mood lighting sucked for taking pictures of this delicious spread. So I got nothing. You'll just have to go and experience it for yourself!

After dinner, we took off for the Roosevelt Hotel and took a ton of pictures in the Christmas-decorated lobby. This is probably my favorite spot in Nola at Christmastime.

We stopped by the Sazerac Bar for a drink....

...where apparently SOMETHING was hilarious...
...and then headed to the bathroom...where there was a large floor-to-ceiling mirror...aaaaaaand selfies ensued. I repeat...How could they not?


Around 2 am we ran back to the hotel for a shoe change (sorry Kat, but I was DYING) and then walked around a bit. Saw the sights (aka reeeeeaaaaally stupid drunk people) on Bourbon Street and then decided to call it a night because as Ted Mosby says, nothing good happens after 2 am!
pic
Although we still looked pretty amazing at 2 am. 
The next morning, we got brunch at the Bourbon House where I got my favorite drink in New Orleans... A frozen bourbon milk punch.
All. The. Nutmeg. 
Our little Nola weekend came to a close and we parted ways-Katie for Alabama (then NYC), and me for Lafayette- but not before promising to do it all over again next winter!


Until next time, Nola, I'll be thinking of you!




1 comment:

  1. Juan's!!!!! I LOVE JUAN'S!!!!!!! Their blueberry pomegranate margarita is my favorite drink in the city. <3

    ReplyDelete