Monday, April 13, 2015

Steph Says: Reading For Miles

You ever have one of those moments during a run where you think "If that song comes on one more time, I swear. SWEAR. I will strangle a squirrel"? No? Just me?
The BEST (sarcasm) is when it happens in the middle of a long run. I'm already pretty pissed off because I've already wogged 7 miles and still have like a bajillion to go, and then THAT SONG comes on and I rip out my earbuds and snarl in frustration while my feet just keep pounding the pavement- literally POUNDING like a herd of tired, irritated, achy elephants- and I'm just like I'M DONE. I HATE RUNNING. I hate waking up early on Saturdays. I hate the way these shoes feel on my arches. I hate the way my shirt tag is making my back itch. I hate this stupid street and the stupid crack on the sidewalk that I'm about to trip over and the stupid stupid stupid fact that I'm torturing myself just because I said I would train for XYZ race and I can't back down now!!!
The song is different every time. It's not one song in particular. It's just me, in the moment, getting violently angry because I am grumpy and hangry when I run.
But I digress.
My sister-in-law listens to audio books while she runs and when she first mentioned it, I thought she was plum crazy. There's no way I could listen to someone yap at me while I'm trying to dodge oncoming vehicles, tree branches, and small ankle-biting dogs (double the yap? No thank you).

And then Serial happened.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, we seriously can't be friends anymore. 
Serial happened, and I binge-casted like it was my JOB. Then one fateful morning, I dropped the kiddo off at school and I was supposed to go for a run, but I just wanted to stay in my car and finish that week's episode when it dawned on me...
I can stream this.
And listen to this on my phone.
While I run.
BOOM. 
Birds, meet stone.
Life forever changed.

Then Serial ended (#freeadnan) and one Saturday morning in early February, I wiggled in my earbuds and before I even took three steps THAT. SONG. STARTED. PLAYING.
SNARL.
So I though to myself, "Oh forget this. I'm finding an audio book." I checked Spotify and surprisingly, there were a ton of classics! My little English-teacher-loving heart adores the classics, but Jane Eyre for 14 miles just wasn't going to help my violent tendencies, amirite? I saw Animal Farm on the list and remembered that it was one I always managed to dodge growing up, but it had always intrigued me. 14 miles later and I'm all (spoilerish alert) "Napoleon, oh NO you DIDN'T.” And I'm done with my long run, feelin' all kinds of educated and cultured.
Thus began my new obsession with listening to audio books while I run. My pace suffers a little when I'm not listening to my peppy music, but I'm a lot more relaxed and a lot less murderous. And no one would be cool with a tired, achy, irritated, AND murderous herd of elephants. Again...amirite?
My next audio book choice was The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins and Y'ALL. IT WAS AH-FREAKIN-MAZING. Very Gone Girlish, but I actually liked the characters. As in, felt empathy toward them.Something I was truly lacking by the end of Gone Girl. 

Of course I immediately told Meg to stop her life and start reading it. And she did. And now we refer to it in daily conversation, because that's what normal people do. 

What should I listen to next?



No comments:

Post a Comment