Sunday, April 26, 2015

Steph Says: Stitch Fix Box 1 Review

So I finally caved and tried out this Stitch Fix thing that all the cool kids are talking about. 

Stitch Fix is an online styling service. You pay $20 for a stylist to pick out five items for you based on a style survey. You can also request specific items such as printed shorts or sleeveless tops to help guide their choices, or let them know of an upcoming event to style for you. In addition, you can create a Pinterest board with items you like and link it to your Stitch Fix account so your stylist can really see what floats your clothing boat.  When you get your items, you have 3 days to try them on and decide which ones to keep and which ones to return. They send you a pre-addressed and stamped envelope bag to make it easy on you! Your $20 styling fee is applied to any items you purchase, and if you keep all five, you get 25% off your whole box! In addition, you go through an online checkout and let your stylist know what you loved and/or hated about the items so they can style you even better the next time around.

I'm not quite sure if I love it yet, but there is something to be said about the element of surprise! And who doesn't love getting packages in the mail? For those women who hate to shop or don't have time, it's a great way to shop in the comfort of your own home.  I wasn't sure if Stitch Fix was for me because I actually love shopping. I love shopping a little too much if you ask my hubs but who's asking him. But I'm all about trying new things, and one of the biggest bonuses of losing 95 pounds is that clothes just look and feel 800 times better than they ever have before. So something like Stitch Fix is exciting instead of nerve-wracking and depression-inducing. Here we go!


I got home and this pretty little box was waiting on my doorstep. I give their packaging an A plus! It's cute and sturdy, and everything inside is wrapped up nice and neat. You also get a note from your stylist with ideas on how to style all the pieces in your box using items you already have in your closet. (Or items they assume every woman has in her closet, and I'm all like whaaaaat is a pencil skirt gonna do for these hips? Please.)


This is great for anyone who is a bit clueless on how to put together an entire outfit. I do have my moments of fashion brilliance, but I also need someone to hold my hand on MAJOR fashion decisions. That's where my girl Kat usually comes in! Now I'll have help from Stitch Fix, too. And we can't forget to thank The Hubs, my enthusiastic photographer. It takes a village, y'all. 

Item #1
Papermoon Polina Knit Top
$38.00
First item out of the box was kinda eh. I feel like I could buy this sucker just about anywhere. The quality didn't wow me, and it also reminded me of literally every maternity top my beach ball belly sported those nine long, heavy months. I sent this one back. 

Item #2
Kut from the Kloth Parcey Polka Dot Skinny Jean
$48.00
Loved. LOVED these jeans! The polka-dot patterned fabric was just too cute and the price was on point. However, they were a little too long. That, I could have fixed with some tailoring, BUT they were also too big in the waist! (Is this real life? Pants? Too BIG? Be still my heart.) As much as I loved them, they had to go back.

Item #3
Papermoon Floria Split Back Knit Top
$48.00
This top was cute, and I liked the fun surprise floral print in the back. But it just didn't "do" anything for me. In fact, I think it made my hips look wider. Um, no thank you!  Also, the knit was a little heavy for Louisiana spring/summer. I had to send it back.

Item #4
Octavia Gweneth Chevron Lace Infinity Scarf
$28.00
I adore scarves. My students could probably tell you how often they saw me wear scarves and cardigans, and it's more than I'd like to admit. But the price of this scarf was just too much to bear. I have a hard time paying $28 for a shirt, let alone one measly double-wrapped strip of fabric! Returned. Happily returned.


And then I found this one at Wal Mart later in the week for $6.99. I win.

Item #5
41Hawthorn Moni Geo Print Blouse
$58.00
The keeper! The print on this top is so much FUN! There was a similar style/print top on my Pinterest board that my stylist used to inspire this choice. I think this piece was the most "me" out of them all. It was a little too expensive (champagne taste, beer budget and all that) but with the $20 styling fee applied to it, the price was much more reasonable. Kept it!

Overall, I give my first Fix a 6/10. Hopefully the stylists listen to my feedback so I can get more winners next time around! If you are interested in giving Stitch Fix a try, I'd love it if you'd use my referral code below when you sign up!

Feed the shopping addiction. Click here!
Have a great week, lovelies! 





No comments:

Post a Comment